Quick and Simple Chili

So, I guess I'm on a soup kick. It's Fall, I'm allowed.

I really like Wendy's chili. I've tried and failed at copycatting it in the past. Today I came close and in the end, I think I prefer my version. Mark wasn't thrilled with it. He said it lacked flavor. He also says that about my taste in Chinese take-out (I like broccoli and chicken, he likes the deep fried stuff).

Here's the secret to my chili: No tomato anything.

It almost sounds heretical, right? If you must call it something else, feel free. "Delicious beef soup" works, but people might wonder why you're boasting about your own cooking and, "What is it really called?"

Ingredients:

1/2 lb ground beef
(extra oil for sautéing everything, if needed)
2 tsp - 1 tbs ground cumin
1-2 tbs paprika
1 large green pepper, chopped
1med/large onion, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, (I use 2 Trader Joe's frozen minced cubes)
2 bay leaves
1 cup beef stock
4 cups chicken stock
1 can beans of your choice, rinsed (I used Great Northern 'cause that's what I had on hand)
salt and pepper to taste

Start cooking the ground beef in a pot. Once there's some oil in the pan, add everything down through garlic. Cook until onions are wilted.

Pour in stocks, beans, and add bay leaves. Simmer for 30 min or so. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves when serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating to Thrive: the post for those who've asked

Riding Waves of Grace: Joey's Birth Story - PART II

Recipes, News, Stores and more... 7 Quick Takes