1.75 lb beef, cut into 1-2 in. pieces
couple Tbs. Olive Oil
1 1/2 Tbs or so (generous splash) Red Wine Vinegar [for deglazing]
4 cups Chicken Stock (next time I'll do 1/2 chicken, 1/2 beef if i have it on hand)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 bay leaves
1 stalk celery, chopped in half
1 large onion, chopped into large chunks
5-6 small potatoes, cut into large chunks
3 carrots, cut into 3rds
another couple Tbs Olive Oil to coat veggies for roasting
generous splash Red Cooking Wine (1-2 tbs)
Salt and Pepper to taste
- pat-dry beef with paper towel
- heat dutch oven on med-high heat, pour in olive oil to coat bottom.
- Sear beef briefly in batches, remove
- pour vinegar into pot, scrape pot
- pour Chicken Stock into pot and scrape some more
- lower heat
- Return beef to pot; add bay leaves, garlic and celery stalk
- bring to gentle simmer while heating oven to 325
- Place covered dutch oven in oven for a couple hours
An hour before serving...
- Remove pot from oven and place on burner on low heat
- Increase oven temp to 425
In roasting pan, combine onion, potatoes and carrots. Toss with olive oil. Roast until caramelized (onions will be done first). Cut into bite-size pieces and add to stew pot.
Remove and discard bay leaves and celery.
Splash in the Cooking wine and salt and pepper to taste.
Keep warm at a gentle simmer until ready to eat.
Celebrate a happy husband who ate thirds.