Amazing Chicken Soup

I don't know about you, but when I create a new dinner dish that turns out to be repeatable I think, "That was easy, no need to write it down, I'll just file it away in the old memory." Fast forward a month and I think "How did I do that?" Yeah. Every time.

Today that changes.

Equipment: Crockpot, saute pan

Ingredients:

8 cups water
1 small whole chicken, raw, skin removed
2 carrots cut to fit in crockpot
2 carrots chopped or diced
2 stalks of celery cut to fit in crockpot
2 stalks of celery chopped or diced
1 med/large onion, quartered
1 med/large onion finely chopped
3 or 4 bay leaves
2 cloves of minced garlic (or equivalent)
coconut oil for sautéing
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

In crockpot combine
- water
- chicken
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- quartered onion
- bay leaves

Crockpot it until chicken falls of bone
Discard veggies, bay leaves and bones*
Place shredded/chunked meat back in broth in crockpot
Add 1 clove of garlic to broth/meat (this is what I did - in the future I might add both cloves to the sautéd veggies, see below)

Sautee in coconut oil: chopped carrots, celery and onion. When onion looks wilted, add remaining garlic. Continue sautéing for a few minutes. Add enough broth to cover veggies and simmer until somewhat soft - maybe 8-10 min? Add veggies and all liquids to soup.

Stir to combine and generously season with salt and pepper.

Garnish with grated cheddar cheese. Yum!

*Or save the bones and make bone broth - Thanks Sarah S. for the tips about that. I've yet to try that, but if/when I get my hands on some organic chicken, I'm sure I'll give it a whirl.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating to Thrive: the post for those who've asked

Riding Waves of Grace: Joey's Birth Story - PART II

Recipes, News, Stores and more... 7 Quick Takes